Skip to main content
You are the Critic!

Did you enjoy reading Between the World and Me? Why/why not? Did you enjoy studying Between the World and Me? Why/why not? What is your biggest takeaway from the essay? Should it be read in high school? Should it be included in the American canon? Why/why not?
BTWAM, I believe is a very powerful book. It’s about the gap between the world and black people. It’s about the Dream, made up from exploitation. Specifically, from black people which even then is a developed construct in order to justify racism. While the book may not be a provision of solutions to this problem at hand, it does provide answers to why life is the way it is from the black community in America. With that being said, I did enjoy it very much. It gave me a new perspective on life and emphasized the tragedy that I see as normal. Additionally, accompanied with my enjoyment of the book, I can also relate to it. As a young black man, it’s very normal for me to protect my body and be in constant fear. So as I was reading the book it was common that I resonated with a lot of the events or experiences that Coates saw or underwent. In conclusion, I think that this book is a very important read for young African Americans, given the eye-opening aspect of it and how it’s able to provide answers regarding life in black communities.
ReplyDeleteI definitely agree with you, I think Coates does a great job at discussing fear that is embedded within black bodies. His story about living in Baltomore adds to that imagery on what it is like growing up in an environment that is crime ridden. Also understanding the contrast between the life, he has created for his son versus what he experienced is very powerful.
DeleteI agree on how making coates making an emphasis on tradegy showed me how desensitized I was to tradegy and it allowed me to gain a new perspective on life and tradgey.
DeleteI agree, its amazing that Coates made something that could make others relate to experiences and at the same time inform others of what's going on in the worlds of others.
Deletei agree as though the book highlights many existing issue regarding racial injustices and does not give a solution to the issue not defining a solution allows readers to be able to join to attempt to find a solution
DeleteI believe BTWAM is a strong book that sends a powerful message to its readers. I think it gives insight to people who may not understand or know the unfortunate truth of systemic racism in America. As a new resident of the US, the biggest takeaway I received was how this country and the American dream was built on slavery and how America still suffers from the effects of this in implicit ways. Overall I enjoyed reading the book because it gave me a fresh perspective and definition on race in America and in some ways through the rest of the world. I think this should be pushed to be taught in high schools as history and race both go hand in hand to affect our daily lives and to be more educated in a racially diverse country, means to prevent assumption which can lead to a more accepting and aware world.
Delete-Kai
I agree with you Camerin! although no solutions are at being present it is essential because it shines a light and helps people be educated on the matter at hand.
Delete-Johana Brito
within its ineptitude of gravity, BTWAM brings the intensity of race within America. although this book isn't the essence of racism, it is comprised of all spectrums of fascism, which is popularized through the republic: republic being America. In my personal opinion Coates uses America as an umbrella, criticism of all countries, since America is comprised of all ideologies from the world ( western ). this being, BTWAM is profound and visceral, it is intended to be embedded with intense imagery, that is what makes the book difficult to completely grasp. the understanding of this book is misleading, this book is bigger then the system it is a guide to break generational curses. to become free from understanding that creations of atrocity can be overturned with rebellion with it being broken. I disagree with the term "idea" being associated with this book, since idea is a composition, but this book is reality. Coates personal experience is it's own guide for reformation. This book is a CRITICAL read for generations and needs to be taught within institutions.
ReplyDeleteYour analysis is absolutely impeccable. I like how you summarized BTWAM and acknowledged that his experience is a part of the solution. This book directly affects the community of people of color who are only accustomed d to viewing the world in a singular way. I strongly agree that it is a critical book to read in schools because of the magnitude it holds.
DeleteI also agree that this is a critical read because of how realistically it describes America. I also like the way you disagreed with the term "idea", made me think of the book differently.
DeleteI loved reading BTWAM. I enjoyed the format of this epistolary because it feels very personal. Coates does a great job at explaining that race is a construct which is idea that many people, myself included were not aware of. I now know that between the world and Coates is fear, violence, The Dream, lack of funding in education as well as black communities, police brutality, the power of domination, and so much more. In one way or another all people of color will experience at least one of these things. That is how the system was created to make sure that there will always be people at the bottom. If everyone had equal power than it would not be considered power. I think this book should definitely be read throughout all high schools as a mandatory book. BTWAM offers real insight on what it means to be black in America. The goal is not to offer a step-by-step solution rather it is an immersive experience a black man is sharing with the world.
ReplyDeleteI also really enjoyed the personal aspect of BTWAM! It didn't feel like I was reading a book, more like reading a conversation Coates was having with me.
DeleteI do agree that Coates’ writing creates a more personal connection with the reader.
DeleteI also did like the format of the book and the personal aspect that accompanies that. Additionally, I completely agree that this book isn’t a solution but rather an informative piece.
DeleteI agree the formatting was excellent ent as it helped connect with the readers. And it was really immersive. Which helped the readers really understand the experience.
Delete- Johana Brito
BTWAM was a book that I enjoyed reading. I think the beginning was slower and I would've enjoyed it more if it hadn't been. However, it brought up many good points such as America being systematically racist and how there are no consequences for it. My biggest takeaway from the essay is that the racism that takes place in America will only be a continuous cycle if we don't work to fix it but that white Americans also need to understand the struggles black Americans experience in order to be part of that solution. I think it should be read in high school and included in the American canon because of how eye opening it could be and because it gets you thinking of real-world problems that black Americans face everyday.
ReplyDeleteI agree the book did cause me to pay more attention to these problems in real life and analyze if there is any contribution I can make to cause a change.
DeleteI agree that reading the book can be eye opening as it made me realize the differences between my life/childhood and Coates' life when he was little. It's crazy that two people living in the same continent can be so different because of the color of skin.
DeleteI agree with the idea that the message is that if we don't do something about racism now or very soon, it will be a never ending cycle and minorities will continue to be oppressed.
DeleteI agree with your analysis, and I very much do agree that the way America is set it's as if some forms of racism are accustomed in our country without us even realizing it.
DeleteI agree with Jasmins point of how racism is a cycle like problem that constantly comes up in our everyday lives, also I agree that this book should be read by high schoolers because I believe it will have a deep impact on their understanding of the world through Coate's experiences and storytelling.
DeleteBetween the world and me is a captivating piece of literature. Coates expression of “the other universe” emphasizes the difference of lifestyle and life experiences. The author, Ta-Nehisi Coates points out how much more difficult life can be because of the lack of respect for the black body. This book should be read in high school because it provides a diversified view of the american life and how it can be harder to achieve for certain people.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the fact that this book should be read in high schools because it really does show the effects racial injustice.
DeleteI can agree with your point. As America and the world is so diverse it is important that the younger generation is educated on the topic of racial injustice
Delete-Kai
BTWAM was a book that I enjoyed reading. I enjoyed reading it becasue it allowed me to see the world in another perspective. It showed me the daily struggles Black Americans go through and it showed me how the American system is built off black bodies and that it's against them. My biggest takeaway is that America has a history of racial oppression and we should try and find solutions to help change the future. I believe BTWAM should be included in the American cannon because it allows people to burst out of thier bubble that they are living in and see how racial injustice is imapcting black americans.
ReplyDeleteI agree that this essay brings many people to realization about reality and opens their eyes about what and how the world truly is.
Deletei agree as BTWAM exposés a harsh reality in our society that many prefer to forget as our past was filled with racism and division and these dividers still effect many to this day but now are called many different names
Deletei agree, i really enjoyed the book because it made me understand a different perspective. i have learned and still am learning about what it is like to be black in america and everyone else should learn too.
DeleteBTWAM is a good book that I believe really spreads awareness and opens people's eyes about how society is. This book is very educational by allowing the reader to learn names to some unjustified killings to black people that the reader may have not known before because the case didn't go viral. BTWAM lets you view certain events through a whole other perspective; when Coates is writing he essentially is writing based on his experiences that shaped the way he views the world. I really did enjoy reading BTWAM because it inspired me to view things in a different way; for example in life you can be whatever you choose to be, the choices you make are not limited to anything. This book should definitely be read in high school because high school is a stage in people’s life where they start to really form their own opinions and this book would be a good inspiration to these kids to always see different perspectives. This book should be included in the American Canon because this is a good book for essentially everyone to read because it is about life in America for certain groups of people that other groups of people may not have been so aware of.
ReplyDeleteI admired your point on the importance of high schoolers reading BTWAM as it is a special time in forming one’s beliefs, opinions and thoughts. The book allows young readers to see a new perspective they didn't see before.
Delete(kedwin) I agree with this because it is fact that it does induce the reader with a lexicon of perspective, and its importance of it to be included into the American canon is the statement of it being as an entity.
DeleteI agree with the fact that the book spreads a lot of awareness; I also think that mentioning all those names was important to the goal and overall message of the book.
DeleteThe book, Between the World and Me, by Ta-Nehisi Coates was a good read that included the perspective of a person in a black body and his struggles fitting into the world as his childhood and own views/opinions affected his actions. This book/essay talked about Coates' struggles with himself and the death of someone he knew and how it affected others by just how the American system failed him. Throughout the book I could only think about how he was in the world but not part of it. I enjoyed reading it as it showed me ideas that I didn't even think about on how race is the child of racism or even when you are surrounded by others that look like you, you're still able to feel alone. Although this book is complicated to comprehend, it should be read by everyone and should be made canon as it's a part of U.S. history and modern news in the lens that isn't by a white man.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your analysis and the book should definitely be a part of the canon because the book talks about real life troubles black people go through and its not something you can just turn your head on. Its real life and should be discussed regardless of who it makes feel uncomfortable.
DeleteElizabeth, you bring up a point that stayed with you about how he was in the world but not part of it which is a powerful and true statement on BTWAM that I didn’t think of before.
DeleteI can agree on how his perspective is crucial to be seen and read as a black man. As it would be ironic for a white man to write about a black man's experience.
DeleteBetween the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates was a good book for me personally. I feel like we should all take away the message that we should do anything to protect our bodies at any cost and there are other ways to do this without violence. This book demonstrates the reality the black people have been facing for many years now. This book may open the eyes of many other oppressed communities. This memoir also showed me that racism is why the whole idea of "race" is a thing nowadays. There is not really a thing such as black or white at the end of the day. I think this book should be published everywhere it is possible because it is a very engaging memoir and it also brings many people to realization about reality.
ReplyDelete(kedwin) - i agree with it being engaging
Deletekatie --- i agree with that everyone reading this should take the message of protecting our bodies but the society is bulit to go against black americans.
DeleteI agree with Shubhvir because the idea of race is just colors at the end of the day we are all the same.
DeleteI liked reading BTWAM as the books personality gave it a different perspective and a dept to the point that Coates illustrated throughout his book . BTWM would allow me to understand the racial division that is still present in modern day and how race divides people with money lifestyle and education and has system that continuously is placed against you .i do believe that this is a good book that should be read in high school as it gives young people a view on the world that many of us didn't now was present and allows us to your our power incite change in a unfair world
ReplyDeleteI agree, BTWAM helped demonstrate the division and inequality that is still present in modern America.
DeleteI agree with Jeans point, BTWAM helped to understand the racial divisions we face in our world and how most of the people judge each other as just black and white.
DeleteI did enjoy reading throughout the book. I found compelling language one of my favorite things. Sometimes I will find myself reading without concern for time and pages, I would lose myself in the book. Coates has powerful language and passages that make me think outside of my own knowledge I knew already from works I have read. One thing that will stay with me is his own experience which influences the message he wants to convey to his son. As seen with the Dream, fear, perspective, education, galaxies, and black bodies. I do believe it should be read more often to begin with as it could open the eyes of many people and young readers had no awareness about. It’s a necessary read for young adults or anyone in general.
ReplyDeleteI agree, while reading this book I found it difficult to keep track of time while reading the book, Coates brought such powerful language and meaning in every page.
DeleteI agree, while reading this book it had me thinking about America's system in a whole other perspective. Including how the rest of the world outlook is compared to ours. Spreading more awareness of the issues in America even though it does not give solutions it's a reality check to those reading this book.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteI agree, the book was powerful at times it would be hard to keep track of where I was, also with the message for his son in the book. - Kayla
DeleteBTWAM was a book I did enjoy reading. Studying the book was fun, getting to understand the meaning of all the powerful language used throughout this essay was a complicated process for me at times, nevertheless interesting to me when I understood the true meaning. It should definitely be read in high school, because BTWAM is like a personal account of real nationwide and worldwide events that occur all the time. Even if all the ideas aren’t necessarily agreeable to some people, which I occasionally encountered, it gives perspective to an issue that people will consider the next time they hear or talk about the issues regarding racism. My biggest takeaway is that people, especially the upcoming generation of individuals, still need to continue to strive for resolution, as the issue is still present within the modern world and the cycle as Coates writes it will continue if nothing is done. BTWAM should definitely be added to the American Canon for its important message and part in American history.
ReplyDeleteI think that it was a pleasant experience read Between the World and Me it gave a glimpse into a different perspective. I will say that at times it was a little hard to understand his ideas or to know the essence of them. Over all it was pleasant experience. I think that taking a look at rhetorical devices specifically in this book was great. It opened up my mind to understand authors purpose which was an immense help to understand Ta-Nehisi. Studying this book expanding our knowledge by taking a look at these devices was great. I got to expand my vocabulary and learn t identify rhetorical devices. My biggest take away from this essay is to open myself up to learn from peoples perspective. We learn history from one perspective but to be able to see through somebodies eyes and feel the pain just through reading, thats impressive. I think thats one of the things that the author implied a lot on his writing. I also learned that with certain perspectives we may not concord but thats alright. I think that is one of the reasons why leaning tis in high school would be important. o realize that there may be other perspectives beyond what we already know or see and to expand on knowledge. I think it should be added to the American Canon because of the transparency of the view among racial disparity.
ReplyDeleteI agree, the difference in perspective allowed for new things to learn like the rhetorical devices and vocab and just the view of another person in general
Deletei actually enjoyed reading BTWAM. the format of the letters made everything feel more intimate which allows people to connect with his writing even more. i did enjoy studying BTWAM, it was an eye opening. i agree with coates ideas that race is social construct that was made up to make black people feel inferior and "white" feel superior. but racism is real and the american dream contributes to racism young black men face daliy. he warns his son to be aware of what this dream is because he knows it only brings hatred. the dream is only meant for white people who already have everything that makes them consider the american dream. the american dream isnt meant for everyone, it only continues to destroy the people who it was bulit upon. everyone should read this book, more importantly teens.
ReplyDeletekatie r
I agree with Katie that the letters format made me connect with Coates even more and have a better understanding of his message.
DeleteI agree with Katie it was eye opening and made us readers understand his message better.
DeleteJayleen A---
ReplyDeleteSimply amazing!! this is a must read for anyone interested in understanding life from an African American perspective. This was a well-written book that provided historical truth and experiences of black peoples journey, through a life of police brutality, incarceration as well as fear. I Loved when Coates added imagery and other devices it made me feel more connected to him, I learned things I didn't know before. It was such a rare, honest, and powerful story to tell about the realities of being a black person in America and how fathers today needs to counsel and prepare our kids for realities of life. Every young kid in America should read this. Do not dismiss this book. read it.
I agree, Coates uses many rhetorical devices to helps us understand his passage and helps us connect to him better - Kayla
DeleteThe book is widely considered a powerful and important work and has received numerous accolades including being a finalist for the National Book Award. It should be read in high school as it is a powerful and important work that can help young people understand the ongoing struggles of the Black community in the United States. The book is a letter written to Coates' teenage son about the author's experiences and observations of being Black in the United States. It deals with themes of racism, violence, and the Black body. Overall, the book is a reflection on the personal and political ramifications of being Black in America and the struggle for survival and freedom in a country where racism has been deeply ingrained and I thought this was a great book to read and learn from.
ReplyDeleteThis book helped me understand Coates's perspective and a way he viewed world as a black man, how he felt as if he was in constant danger and how he found his peace. I believe this book should be taught in high schools because I think many young man/women like myself can relate to this one way or another. It also creates a different perspective rather than just seeing our environment and world as black and white. He also spoke a lot about finding his "Mecca" his peace in all the chaos and I related to that a lot as well. Overall I think this was a great book and would definitely recommend this to another high school student.
ReplyDeleteI did enjoy reading Between The World and Me, I think it is a very strong book for the reader to read. Coates does a good job on explaining and showing the reader his perspectives and his experiences throughout his life. I liked the way Coates writes the book as a letter to his son. I also did enjoy studying the book because it made me learn new ideas and experience new perspectives. I think this should be a book other high schoolers should read and analyze it. It would give people new perspectives and be mind-opening.
ReplyDelete-Kayla
In Between The World and Me is an essential read for all youth as it explores in depth the reality of being an African American person in the U.S. It shatters the "Dream" by highlighting the truth behind it. How the only reason the dream exist is because the black body was used as a stepping stone. In conclusion In Between The World and Me should be taught in all high schools throughout the country to expose what it is like being African American in this country and help inspire change in future generations.
ReplyDelete- Johana Brito